For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Ephesians 6:12 (NKJV)
In Cloak of the Light, Drew begins to understand that there are two factions of invaders that are at war. Although the Bible doesn’t give us a lot of details about what spiritual warfare looks like, it is referenced from Genesis to Revelation. The war began when Satan (Lucifer) became prideful and rebelled against God.
· Isaiah 14:12-14 – “How you are fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How you are cut down to the ground, You who weakened the nations! For you have said in your heart: ‘I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will also sit on the mount of the congregation On the farthest sides of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the Most High.’”
Many theologians believe that the reference in Revelation 12:4 refers to Lucifer convincing a third of the angels to follow him in his rebellion against God.
· Revelation 12:3-4 – “And another sign appeared in heaven: behold, a great, fiery red dragon having seven heads and ten horns, and seven diadems on his heads. His tail drew a third of the stars of heaven and threw them to the earth.”
Satan and his demons seek to destroy all people.
· 1 Peter 5:8 – “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.”
As children of God, we are called into the battle as well.
· Ephesians 6:10-13 – “Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.”
The Bible is silent on many aspects of spiritual beings and spiritual warfare. For example:
· What might their weapons be?
· Where would demons get weapons if they have them?
· In any war there is a risk of loss. What might be the risk of loss for angelic beings?
· Do angels and demons feel pain?
· Can they be injured?
· Can an angel lose a fight with a demon?
Whatever the answers are to these questions, it is important to know that God has already determined the end of the war. God is victorious and we will rejoice on that day.
· Revelation 20:10 – “The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.”
· Revelation 21:3-4 – “And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, ‘Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.’”
Spiritual warfare is real but we don’t have to fear it. God gives us power through Jesus Christ to overcome all attacks from the Enemy. The technique for defeating Satan is actually very simple. James 4:6-7 says, “But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: ‘God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.’ Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.” The next time you face spiritual attack, humble yourself, submit to God, and resist the devil.